The week is finally over and it has taken its toll on you. All the stress from work, school, and the pollutants in the air are wearing you down mentally and physically. And it’s all showing on your face. It’s time to treat yourself to something special.
How about a facial sound?
It will clean and rejuvenate your skin, nourish your soul, wash away the stress of the week and give you a glowing complexion and a youthful feeling.
But it costs a little too much to get a professional facial done at a spa.
What if you can do it at home and get the same results?
If you don’t want to spend a ton of money at a spa or if you just prefer to do the process from the comfort of your own home, then this DIY facial treatment with all-natural ingredients is for you. It’s time to pamper yourself.
So grab everything you need and let’s get started.
Step One: Cleanse
First, you need to clean your face to remove any dirt or product buildup. This is an important step that will help all of the ingredients you use next to penetrate your skin.
How to Cleanse:
- Pull your hair back with a headband to get it out of the way.
- If you’re wearing makeup, use a wipe to remove it. You can also use coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba as a natural substitute. Rub some on your face and wipe it with a cotton pad.
- Apply the cleanser all over your face and neck. You can use your go-to cleanser for this or try one of our DIY natural cleansers:
- Oat and yogurt cleanser: Create a paste by combining ½ cup of rolled oats with ½ cup of plain yogurt.
- Jojoba and castor oil cleanser: Mix 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil with 2 tablespoons of castor oil.
- Aloe vera and honey cleanser: Combine ¼ cup of aloe vera gel with ¼ cup of honey. If you want you can add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Rub the cleanser for 10-20 seconds on each are. Wash with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft, clean towel.
Step Two: Exfoliate
Exfoliation will remove the top layer of dead cells, clean out the clogged pores, and smoothen the skin. This step will reveal the healthier layer underneath and take away that dull look.
How to Exfoliate:
- There are two types of exfoliations: physical and chemical. With physical exfoliation, the dead layer of skin is removed with abrasion, while with the chemical method, the enzymes will do the work for you. Choose from one of our DIY scrubs:
- Honey, oat, and pineapple scrub: Blend and mix 2 slices of pineapple, 1 tablespoon of oats, and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Blueberry, honey, and sugar scrub: Blend ¼ cup of blueberries, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Strawberry and Banana scrub: Blend 2 strawberries and 2 slices of banana.
- Sea salt, honey, and coconut oil scrub: Mix 2 tablespoons of sea salt with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Coffee, honey, and sugar scrub: Mix 1 tablespoon of coffee with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Oat and honey scrub: Grind up ½ cup of oats and mix with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply the exfoliant all over your face and neck, and gently rub in upward circular motions for about 2 minutes. If you’re using a chemical exfoliant, let it sit on your face for about 10 minutes and then start rubbing.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Step Three: Steam
This is the most relaxing step of the process. Steam will open up your pores and prepare your skin to better absorb the next products. It will also boost your skin’s natural oil production.
How to Steam:
- Pour some boiled water into a large bowl. You can add a few drops of an essential oil, such as rosemary, jasmine, or lavender for aromatherapy.
- Lean over the bowl and keep your face at a safe distance to not burn yourself. Drape a towel over your head to trap the steam. You can come up for air if you need to.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes.
Step Four: Mask
Now that your skin is ready to absorb some good nutrients, you can apply a mask to nourish it. This will give you the healthy-looking skin that you want. You can choose the mask based on the current issues on your face or what you want to achieve.
How to Apply a Mask:
- Pick a natural DIY mask from our list:
- Mask for skin tightening: Mix 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
- Mask for acne-prone skin: Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Mask for glowing skin: Mash 1 ripe avocado with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mask for rejuvenating skin: Blend ½ a tomato with ¼ of a cucumber.
- Apply the chosen mask and let it rest on your face for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
Step Four: Toner
Toner is necessary for removing any remnants of the mask and balancing the pH level of your skin. It will also brighten your face and prepare it for the final step by shrinking your pores and stopping dirt from settling in.
How to Apply Toner:
- Choose a toner from the list below and let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes beforehand.
- Apple cider vinegar toner: Mix ¼ cup of water with ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Rosewater and lemon toner: Mix ¼ cup of rosewater with 5 drops of lemon juice.
- Witch hazel and aloe vera toner: Combine 2 tablespoons of witch hazel with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and a few drops of lavender oil.
- You can use a cotton ball to apply the toner or pour it in a spray bottle and spray it all over your face.
- Let it dry.
Step Five: Moisturize
This is the final step and a crucial one. Moisturizer will seal in all the nutritious ingredients you used on your face and hydrate your skin. Your facial is incomplete without moisturizer.
How to Moisturize:
- You can use your trusted moisturizer for this step or choose a natural DIY option:
- Shea butter and jojoba oil moisturizer: Mix ½ tablespoon of jojoba oil with ¼ cup of shea butter with and 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Coconut oil and tea tree oil moisturizer: Mix ¼ cup of coconut oil with 5 drops of tea tree oil and ¼ teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- She butter and argan oil moisturizer: Mix ¼ cup of shea butter with 2 tablespoons of argan oil and 5 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Gently apply the moisturizer by massaging your skin. Start from your forehead and rub in upward circular motions down your temples, nose, cheeks, jaw, and neck. Doing this will increase the blood circulation in your face, give you a flushed look, firm the muscles and finish your pampering with a soothing touch.
And voila! You are done. You just gave yourself a facial.
Some Extra Tips
- For a spa-like experience, you can set the mood by lighting some scented candles, investing in a face roller, making yourself a glass of cucumber water, and playing some relaxing music. You can also invite your friends and make a ritual out of this.
- Prepare everything beforehand. This way you won’t have to get up after every step and look around for ingredients.
- You might be tempted to try an extraction method. Don’t! That should only be done by professionals and if you try, you might scar yourself and it can even lead to inflammation and infection.
- If at any point you experience irritation or discomfort from the ingredients on your face, wash them immediately.
- Don’t wear makeup after the treatment. Give your skin a few hours to breathe and preferably do this routine at night.
So there you have it. An affordable DIY facial treatment at home with all-natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals.
Easy, wasn’t it?
You can turn this into a weekend routine. Give yourself a boost for the upcoming week and rid your skin of all the piled up dirt and stress. It’s a relaxing process to make your skin and mind feel refreshed, healthy, and calm. Show yourself a little love, you’re worth it. And if you do, be sure to tell me about it.